How to Create High-End Branding for Your Auto Detail Business
If you ever wondered how some detail businesses get these high-end clients that don’t budge at their high prices, you’re not alone. The detail industry is filled with logos with car silhouettes and messaging that consists of words like affordable, low-cost, cheap, economical, & budget-friendly. In this article, you will learn exactly how to create and position your business to attract and build trust with high-quality customers. This is what I call Brand Strategy.
What is Branding? “A brand is not a logo. A brand is not an identity. A brand is not a product.” Neumeier goes on to say that “a brand is a person’s gut feeling about a product, service, or organization.” – Marty Neumeier
We will cover Content Strategy, Logo Design / Brand Identity, Culture & as an added bonus Video Strategy.
- CONTENT STRATEGY is the ongoing process of transforming business objectives and goals into a plan that uses content as a primary means of achieving those goals.
Many detailers are amazing at restoring vehicles and making them look better than when they were in the showroom at the dealership.
Like many other business owners, they are not well versed in creating content that compels and presents their services in a way that matches their level of detailing.
So, how do you create this level of content without the knowledge? You can hire a content writer on Fiverr, or Upwork, for your content and you can follow my golden rule that I have used in my own auto detailing shop in Fresno, CA.
Golden Rule – Never use these words or words like these in your social media, website, or marketing content: affordable, low-cost, cheap, economical, & budget-friendly.
- Logo Design / Brand Identity is the collection of all elements that a company creates to portray the right image to its consumer.
Be honest with yourself. What does your logo, website, cards, etc say about your business right now? Is it simply appropriate and obvious that you detail? Or does it feel prestigious & high end?
A modern well-designed logo should have
- Brand Mark that can stand alone like the Nike Swoosh, Adidas 3 stripes, Apple’s Apple.
- Business Name With Tagline
- Business Name Without Tagline
It should be designed by someone who understands typography, color theory, and the use of fundamental design concepts like negative space.
This designer should be able to provide you with the guidelines on how to use the logo and the typography on all marketing collateral like flyers, brochures, business cards, websites, etc.
Brand Guide Should Have:
- Light version of logo
- Dark version of logo
- Fonts aka Type Faces
- Color Pallet
You should follow these guidelines if you want to create a professional online presence.
Below is an example of what a brand guide can look like.
A brand guide is a file you send to anyone working on your business relating to graphics online or offline they should be able to follow it to a T.
- Culture of your business plays a huge role in the perception of your brand.
- When you speak to clients remember to use professional language and always be courteous and respectful.
- The way your dress should be professional and you should play it safe by wearing company t-shirts, polos, etc. Yes, people should not judge you based on how you dress but wearing professional attire goes along way with first impressions.
- Cleanliness & organization of your shop or mobile setup reflect the way you do business. Make sure your shop is clean and your mobile rig(s) are clean and glossy.
- Video is a powerful content medium for storytelling. It can have a big impact on the success of your promotional campaigns and content marketing efforts. It also serves as an effective way to connect with people and build more satisfying and deeper relationships between you and your target audience.
Many detailers hire a video guy to create a fancy video that has cool transitions, effects, music, etc. But they fail to understand what the purpose of a video is. Here are a few tips for creating videos that present your services in a compelling and educational way for your potential customers.
- Capture shots that show how much labor goes into your work. If you are filming a ceramic coating video, show the preparation process especially the paint correction.
- Purchase professional apparel like dry-fit polos and have your logo stitched or screen printed on them.
- Capture the special tools or setups you use in your process like for washes, film the 2 bucket method, and don’t be afraid to speak on the camera educating them on why you need two. This will help you distinguish yourself from the local car wash.
- Be confident and speak into the camera to introduce yourself and explain the process you are about to do and why. This is a bonus for youtube because youtube can capture your audio and boost your SEO.
There are other aspects that play a big role in creating a high end brand but these are just a few pressing topics that I hope will help you position your detailing business the right way.